20 Apr Working with Individuals & Small Therapeutic Groups around Trauma
Working with individuals & small therapeutic groups around trauma (with Mary Hilliker and Olga Kabel)
Working with people who have experienced trauma is some of the most difficult and humbling work that we might take on as yoga therapists or yoga teachers trained in yoga for trauma recovery. Yoga teachings help us understand human suffering from a philosophical perspective. We have yogic frameworks for the assessment and management of a wide range of conditions and symptoms that result from trauma. Putting that knowledge and practical experience of the tools into practice with clients is an ongoing process of professional development and personal growth. Working with people recovering from trauma is humbling and rewarding. It brings us face-to-face with people who are courageous and resilient in the face of suffering.
Do you have questions about working with students who have experienced trauma? Join experienced yoga therapists Mary Hilliker and Olga Kabel for a casual discussion of practical teaching strategies when working with individuals & small therapeutic groups around trauma.
Mary Hilliker (C-IAYT) is a yoga therapist with over 20 years in the field who works with students individually; teaches yoga therapy groups, webinars, and special events; trains yoga teachers; and provides continuing education for yoga teachers and yoga therapists. Mary will share her experience and describe her process of assessing, setting goals, reassessing, and designing practices both in the context of private sessions and within therapeutic groups, for students who’ve experienced trauma.
Some of the questions discussed include:
- Is there a difference between working around trauma vs. working with trauma?
- How do yogic teachings on suffering educate our work with trauma?
- Trauma can show up on different levels of the system. How do we decide which level to work with?
- Do triggering experiences happen during yoga therapy sessions? How do we handle them?
- How’s working with students individually different from working within a therapeutic group?
What are the criteria for forming therapeutic groups, and who forms them?
- How do we adjust the practice to the individual within a therapeutic group?
- How can we do this kind of work authentically online rather than in person?
- What is the scope of practice of a yoga therapist when it comes to working with trauma?
This event took place on October 28, 2022.